Library Use and Conduct Policies
Use of the UT Southwestern Health Sciences Digital Library and Learning Center is restricted to activities in support of the educational, scientific, and clinical missions of the campus. UT Southwestern reserves the right to remove anyone who fails to adhere to these policies. Recreational use of resources and facilities is more appropriate to a public library.
The following activities and/or actions are strictly prohibited:
Computers and Equipment
- Viewing or distributing pornographic materials.
- Using computers for illegal, unauthorized, unethical, commercial, or personal purposes.
- Gaming of any kind.
- Bringing explosives or open knives into the Library.
- Harassing patrons or staff (including, but not limited to, verbal abuse and sexual harassment).
- Stalking other customers or staff (including looking into an area, such as a restroom, that is designed to provide privacy to a person using the area).
- Possessing, using, or being under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
- Bringing bedding or excessive amounts of personal property into the Library.
- Engaging in loud conversation or rowdy behavior.
- Posing a sanitary or health risk to others (including, but not limited to, offensive hygiene or the absence of shirts and/or shoes while in the building).
- Creating excessive noise or using a sound generating device.
- Failing to produce identification upon request.
- Loitering (assembling without a legitimate purpose).
- Exhibiting any other behavior deemed inappropriate by the Library staff or police officers.
- Entering or remaining in the Library without an authorized badge or permission from Library Administration.
- Entering staff areas unless invited or accompanied by a staff member.
- Opening emergency exits except in emergency situations.
- Loitering, changing clothes, bathing or other inappropriate activities in a university restroom.
- Using Library facilities for meetings, events, performances, displays, exhibits, filming, and other functions outside of normal Library uses without prior approval from the Assistant Vice President for Library Services (or other designated individual).
- Uncovered food and drinks.
- Using Library phones for more than three minutes or using them for personal business.
- Keeping cell phones in other than silent or vibrate mode.
- Communicating on cell phones in quiet areas.
- Failing to comply with copyright laws (including, but not limited to, reproduction of protected documents and images).
- Removing or attempting to remove Library materials, equipment, or property without proper Library authorization.
- Concealing Library materials for the exclusive use of an individual or group.
- Damaging Library materials by marking, underlining, removing pages or portions of pages, removing binding, removing electronic theft devices, or in any other way defacing Library materials.
- Physically modifying Library equipment without permission.
- Children less than 16 years of age who are not accompanied by a UT Southwestern ID badge holder at all times while in the Library.