Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Note that as of November 5, 2021; EndNote 20 has replaced EndNote X9 as the campus standard! X9 is no longer available.
Get started quickly with EndNote in 4 easy steps (please read through the 4 steps and notes carefully - that will save you time):
||Understand what EndNote can do for you. UT Southwestern faculty, staff, and students can use EndNote citation management software to organize their references and PDFs and to create and manage their bibliographies in MS Word.
Download EndNote 20 for either Windows or Mac and then install it. If you are upgrading from an earlier version, consider syncing (if applicable) and creating a compressed library (backup library) prior to your upgrade.
Note: The download link requires that you are either on campus or using VPN.
Help: Mac Installation Handout | Windows Installation Handout (For Windows, note the extraction step). You must extract the downloaded windows installer prior to running the install. These handouts will be updated to reflect EndNote 20.
||Find full text in EndNote at UT Southwestern. This handout will be updated to reflect EndNote 20.
Learn the EndNote 20 basics in seven minutes by watching a Windows or Mac YouTube tutorial. Find out in two minutes 'What's new in EndNote 20.' The EndNote Training YouTube Channel has short videos explaining just about anything that you would need to do in EndNote 20. The EndNote training page is very good, too.
Also, checkout the EndNote Guides at MD Anderson Cancer Center Research Medical Library, Medical University of South Carolina, Oregon Health & Science University, and University of Pittsburgh; however, please note that these libraries may highlight features that are only applicable at their particular sites.
Other Important Notes
- EndNote libraries should be kept on your computer's hard drive, not network or cloud drives. Storing your EndNote library on a network or cloud drive can result in EndNote library corruption.
- You can create a free EndNote.com account to synchronize your citations to the Web and across multiple computers and to share your EndNote library with other selected EndNote users. When you create an EndNote.com account, you can use your UT Southwestern email address or another email address.
- Use EndNote's Manuscript Matcher at EndNote.com to get suggestions about the top candidates for manuscript submission. Just choose the publications you want, and start the process for submitting your work to the most credible, high-quality journals that match your topic and references.
- You can contact EndNote technical support at 800-336-4474, option 4, to answer difficult questions. EndNote support is excellent and the wait times are usually brief. You might also try their support page.
- You can contact LibEndNote@utsouthwestern.edu to get EndNote support or use our online form to get personal or group training from your Digital Library and Learning Center.
- Click on the FAQ button on the Library home page to see answers to commonly asked EndNote questions.
- See also Exporting Citations from Ovid and Adding PubMed Citations to EndNote.
- As with any other important data, you should create a compressed library (backup) of your EndNote library regularly.
- EndNote Click is a free browser plugin that finds the best available PDF of an academic article while you browse. Behind the scenes, EndNote Click will search open databases and (where possible) your university's subscriptions to find the best version of the paper for you. See the Full-Text Tools library guide.
- The EndNote site license is purchased annually by the UT Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences to enhance the training environment of graduate students and post-doctoral researchers. This license permits use by UT Southwestern Medical Center and University Hospital affiliates at no extra charge.